Friday, July 5, 2013

Back to school - Closing off with last year (Part 1)

 
 

Back to School - Closing off with last year (Part 1)

Yeah.. its summer and we all are having tons of fun. School is out for nearly 4 weeks now. It is just beginning of July and my kids school are to reopen by the 13th August this year. Well.. but for me the 'homework' has started. 'Homework' I mean, my task scheduled to get them ready for the new year. Honestly, even as  a kid I always loved the beginning of the new school year.
The smell of new books, the pretty backpacks and lunch boxes, new stack of pencils, colorful new boxes of crayons, unused erasers.

Its just the new year gets me into realizing that my little ones are getting older and getting to bigger classes to move towards high school and college to soon start their own lives.  
Anyways... I just got a little emotional there... back to the topic... hmm

I will help you to get into working on this. The only think I have realized over the years is that we do not need to wait until the last week to get things ready for the school year. The key behind the peace is to START EARLY.



I will move you through the process in 3 parts.

 1st Part- Closing off with last year.
 2nd Part- Preparation                                                                 
 3rd Part- Ready to Fly!!

Lets get started with the 1st part.

Follow these steps -
1) Start early
Start at least a month before the school reopens. Soon the back to school deals will start hitting the stores. You want to be ready with your 'Need List' before these deals.  



2) Check inventory
Next, go on to checking out the supplies that your kids already have. All the unusable stuff from last year needs to go out. The broken crayons, old erasers, especially look for the pencils that break too often. Get rid off them even if they have been rarely used, they just build frustration during homework time.

3) Discard unusable backpacks and lunch boxes
As for the backpacks and lunch bags, unless they are reusable, don't save them. They just add to clutter over the years. Check the broken lunch boxes, cracked thermos, water bottles. They need to go.

4) Try out clothes
Get the kids to try out their clothes. Its just so surprising how in 2 months clothes that fit them before summer suddenly don't fit them anymore. Goodwill here I come!! look out for those socks that have lost their 'buddy', they need to go in trash.

5) Clear out last years papers
Get rid of all the last years paper work. Only save those cute 'How I help my mommy' stories.. I still get teary reading them after so many years. Save their work that you love into folders.

Get a list ready of all the things that need to be replaced. 

Lets get done with this much for the start. Its a lot of work, but trust me every thing else will be easy from here on.

Next I will walk you through the 2nd step of the Preparation process. 


Love Els                                         

No comments:

Post a Comment