Tuesday, February 28, 2012

My Car .... My mini home


  
Organizing my car.

Martha is here again. She is out with her Special Spring issue magazine of The Best of Martha Stewart Living - ORGANIZING. I love her organizing ideas. She has the solutions for everybody and for all kinds of lifestyles. The book is available on stands until 4/30/2012 (that is what the print on the cover page reads), so if you need one get it before its too late. I got mine at Vons for $10. (It says $10.95 CAN). It's available on amazon.com as well.


 


 
This issue has some of the most wonderful ideas. The ideas are on her website as well, but I like to have them handy for inspiration.

Today I would like to share a few of her car organization ideas that I have incorporated or am  in the process of doing them.
I love my car. It's a van and it is a little home as my husband calls it. He calls it our second home.  So I like to keep my car organized and manageable too.
 
Here are a few things I found very interesting:

I am currently using this system for our important car documents. I have had it for the last whole year, and I am adding it up here to share as I find it very helpful and Martha suggests it too.

Important documents folder: Jokingly we sometimes call it the 'Cop folder'.. as  here are all the documents we might need when getting pulled over or in case of an accident.


 

This image is from Martha's site, I will upload mine soon.
 
       Things I have in my folder-
  1. My contact information with phone number in case the folder gets lost.
  2. Registration
  3. Insurance details
  4. Copies of driver license of me and my husband. Remember it does NOT replace the actual driver license card, but we just leave a copy in there for emergency. Just in case if we have to leave without our wallet in an emergency. For identity security reasons you may choose not to if you think is unsafe.
  5. A few, that is 4/5 small notes with insurance details and contact information that you might need to exchange in case of an accident. In a hurry you can hand over one and on the other one you can quickly write down the other person's necessary details.
  6. Emergency contact numbers. (I didn't keep this until I read Martha's book, now I will add this too.)
  7. A few dollars in smaller bills in a small envelope.
  8. Leave a pen in there too.
 
  • Personal storage : The next idea I like was the use of a hanging shoe organizers one for each kid. 



 
I don't have this one yet, but I like the idea so much that I plan to get one in my car too. I will upload my picture when I set mine up.
My 8 year old is learning how to make paper airplanes, so I have millions (exaggerating mom ;) ) of them all over my car, as he carries them to fly them in the park. I have tried giving him a bag, but he doesn't want that as they get scrunched in there. This way he can neatly fold them and store a few in his organizer.

How do you organize your car? Share your lovely ideas with us.








10 comments:

  1. I saw this magazine at the grocery store the other day ... I'll be sure to get it now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It has plenty of beautiful ideas... :) you will love it.

      Delete
  2. I love your idea about the accordian file folder! I will totally be implementing that one!

    I noticed that your first blog post was on Jan 25. I started my blog on Jan 11 of this year. It's called "The Clutter Diary" because I am journaling my experiences of decluttering my life...both physically and mentally. Anyways, if you're interested, my addy is theclutterdiary.blogspot.com

    I am subscribing to your blog via my blogger reader. I look forward to your future posts!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Heather,
      Thanks for the the comment. I just subscribed to your blog. you are doing a beautiful job on your site. I am learning a few things from your blog too. Enjoy the blogland. :)
      Els

      Delete
  3. I was just reading this issue last night! I've been working on a series of posts for Red Cross month; my next topic was organizing the car for emergencies. I love the idea of a car binder. I have the insurance and registration info in the car, but none of the other items you mentioned. I'll be adding them, too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great . I am looking forward to your Red Cross month blog. Keep me posted on it when it goes up on your blog. Would love to learn a few things myself.
      Els

      Delete
  4. Some people consider their vehicles an extension of their homes. In a way, this makes sense if you consider the amount of time we spend driving from one place to another. I also have one of those hanging shoe organizers in my car. They surely come in handy when I am looking for a place to compartmentalize small things like loose change and some pens. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! Perfect organising ideas for cars! Kudos for sharing these! Drivers and car owners can surely learn a lot from your post.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just couldn't leave your website before telling you that I truly enjoyed the top quality info you present to your visitors? Will be back again frequently to check up on new posts. liability insurance Texas

    ReplyDelete